INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
This study aims to propose the best practice in material management in building construction projects. The primary research instrument used was the questionnaire which was distributed to professionals in both private and public organizations within Katsina state metropolis which contained varied questions on materials waste and management. The collected data was analyzed using simple percentage and presented in tables. The investigation revealed that material wastage brings about additional cost to the construction project and also manual labour is more extensively employed in most firms surveyed than mechanical labour, considering the cost of storing and transporting construction waste along with the loss of revenue from not reclaiming waste. Also, most waste that occurs on construction sites is due to poor management and lack of effective material handling. The study finally recommends that incorporation of expert in construction projects and Construction companies should adopt the use both coverage and hutted accommodation stores on sites, The federal government should come up with a policy on construction waste management which may include introduction of heavy tipping charges on construction wastes (particularly those that can be reuse or recycled) and taxes for dumping or disposing wastes carelessly
Table of Contents
LIST OF TABLES. viii
LIST OF FIGURES. ix
CHAPTER ONE: INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY.. 1
1.2. STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEM... 2
1.3. NEED FOR THE STUDY.. 3
1.4. SCOPE AND LIMITATION.. 3
1.5. AIM AND OBJECTIVES. 3
CHAPTER TWO: INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
LITERATURE REVIEW... 4
OBTAINING THE MATERIAL.. 4
2.1 PRE-CONTRACT ARRANGEMENT.. 4
2.2. MANUFACTURERS AND SUPPLIERS. 5
2.3. MATERIALS SAMPLE.. 6
2.4. MATERIALS HANDLING.. 7
2.5. UNIT LOADS. 8
2.6. PALLETS. 9
2.7. DELIVERIES. 10
2.8. OFFLOADING.. 11
2.9. DISTRIBUTION.. 12
2.10. 1. WASTE IN HANDLING.. 12
2.10.2. NATURE OF WASTE. 13
2.11. STORAGE OF MATERIALS. 14
2.12. STACKING OF MATERIALS. 16
2.13. MATERIALS CONTROLER.. 17
2.14. MATERIAL ACCOUNTING PROCEDURES. 18
2.15. FENCING TO THE COMPOUND.. 21
2.16. SECURITY OF SITE STORE.. 21
2.17. MATERIALS IN CONSTRUCTION.. 22
2.17.1. Concretes. 22
2.17.2. Aggregates. 23
2.17.3. Timber. 24
2.17.4. Paints. 25
2.17.5. Bricks. 25
CHAPTER THREE: INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY.. 27
3.1. INTRODUCTION. 27
3.2. TARGET POPULATION. 27
3.3. SURVEY METHOD.. 27
3.4. DATA COLLECTION.. 28
CHAPTER FOUR: INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
ANALYSIS AND PRESENTATION.. 29
4.1. TOOLS FOR ANALYSIS. 29
4.2. ANALYSIS AND PRESENTATIONS. 29
4.3. Administration of questionnaire. 29
4.4. Services undertake by the professionals. 31
4.5. Sizes of organizations. 32
4.6. Type of store used to store materials. 34
4.7. Waste occurrence on materials. 35
4.8. Percentage of waste occurrence. 36
4.9. What do you do with the waste arising from the materials?. 38
4.10. Percentage of waste occurrence when compared to the actual cost of materials. 41
4.11. The method used to load, offload and stack materials. 43
4.12. Some suggestion by professionals on waste reduction. 45
4.13. Discussions and results. 46
CHAPTER FIVE: INVESTIGATING MATERIAL MANAGEMENT IN BUILDING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION.. 47
5.1 CONCLUSION. 47
5.2. RECOMMENDATIONS. 48
·  Adedayo, A.O., Ojo, O. & Obamiro, J. K. (2006). Operations Research in Decision Analysis and Production Management. Pumark: Lagos.
·  Akintoye, A. (1995). Just in time Application and implication for building material management. Journal of construction management and economics.
·  Alwi, S., Hampson, K., Mohamed, S. (1999). Investigation on the relationship between rework and Site Supervision in High Building construction in Indonesia. The second international conference on construction process reengineering.
·  Ahuja, Hira, N. and S, P, Dozzi (1994). Project management techniques in planning and controlling construction projects, Second Edition, John Wiley& Sons Inc., New York.
·  Anwar, Z. Sohail, M. Shazia N. Hashim. H & Muhammad, S. A (2015). Factors Affecting Material Procurement, Supply and Management in Building Projects of Pakistan: A Contractor’s Perspective.
·  Bailey P. and Farmer, D.(2002). Materials management Handbook, Gower Publishing Company Limited, Aldershot, Hants, England.
·  Bell, L. and Stukhart, G. (2007). Attributes of Materials Management Systems. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
·  Bell, L.C and G. Stukhart, G (1986) “Attributes of material management systems”, ASCE.
·  Bernold, L.E, and Tresler, J.F., (1999). Vendor analysis for Best Buy in construction, journal of construction Engineering and management,
·  Bowersox, D.J. & Closs, D.J. (1996). Logistical Management: The Integrated Supply Chain Process. New York: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
·  Burt, N. D., Dobler, W. D. & Starling, L. S. (2003). World Class Supply Management: A Key to Supply Chain Management. McGraw Hill.
·  Cavinato, J.L (1999). Purchasing and Materials management, west publishing Minnesota.
·  Chandani, K. (2007). Identification of material wastage in residential buildings, NICMAR Journal of construction Management, pp. 13.
·  Chandler, I.E. (2001).Materials management on building sites. The Construction Press Ltd Lancaster, England.
·  Chan, F T S (2002). Design of material handling equipment selection system: an integration of expert system with analytic hierarchy process approach. Integrated Manufacturing Systems.
·  Chimay J.A.(2006). Potential for improving site management practices through knowledge management, Construction innovation: Information, process, management, 6(4).
·  Collis, J and Hussey, R. (2003). Business research: A practical guide for undergraduate and postgraduate students. 2ndedition. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
·  Damodara, K. (1999). Materials management: The key to successful project management, Journal of management in engineering pp. 33.
·  Donyavi, S. and Flanagan, R. (2009). The impact of effective material management on construction site performance for small and medium sized construction enterprises. In: Dainty, A.R.J. (Ed) Procs 25th Annual ARCOM Conference, 7-9 September 2009, Nottingham, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 11-20.
·  Eckles, R.W.Carmichael, R. L. & Sarchet, B. R (2005). Supervisory management: a short course in supervision. Wiley, New York.
·  Formoso, C. T., Soibelman, L., De Cesare, C. & Isatto, E. L, Material Waste in Building Industry: Main Causes and Prevention, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
·  Gossom, W. J (2003). Control of projects, purchasing and materials,penn well publishing company, Tulsa, Oklahoma win: Boston, Seventh Edition.
·  Gulghane A. and Khandve, P.V (2015). Management for Construction Materials and Control of Construction Waste in Construction Industry: A Review. Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications pp. 59-64.
·  Griffith, A. and Watson, P. (2004). Construction management: principles and practices. Palgrave MacMillan, New York
·  Goodrum, M. & Haas, T. (2009). Long-term impacts of equipment technology on labour productivity in the U.S construction industry at the activity level. Journal of construction engineering and management, 1(1): 124-133.
·  Hendrickson, C and Tung A (1998). Project management for construction. 1st ed. Prentice Hall.
·  Hafez, N (2011): Residential projects obstacles and problems in Kuwait.Unpublished “MSc project” Department of Civil Engineering, Kuwait University.
·  Ocheoha, I.A and Moselhi, O. (2013). Impact of building information modeling on just-in-time materialDelivery. Department of Building, Civil and Environmental Engineering, ConcordiaUniversity 1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. West Montreal, Canada.
·  Kanimozhi, G and Latha, P (2014). Material Management in Construction Industry. Indian Journal of Applied research, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 6-9.
·  Kasim, N.B, Anumba, C.J & Dainty, A.R (2005). Improving materials management practices on fast-track construction projects. In: Khosrowshahi, F (Ed.), SOAS, University of London. Association of Researchers in Construction Management
·  Kazaz, A., Manisali, E. & Ulubeyli, S. (2008). Effects of basic motivation factors on construction workforce productivity in Turkey. Journal of civil engineering and management, 14(2): 95-106.
·  Kevin A.O. (2012). Evaluation of materials management strategies in the Nigerianconstruction industry, International journal of management sciences and Business Research
·  Kareem, K.R and Pandey, R.K. (2013). Study of Management and Control of Waste Construction Materials in Civil Construction Project, International Journal of Engineering and Advance Technology.
·  Leenders, R. M. Fearon, E. H. Flynn, E. A. & Johnson, F. P. (2002). Purchasing and Supply Management. Boston: Mcgraw-Hill Irwin, Twelfth Edition.
·  Miles, M.E., G Berens and M.A Weisis (2000). Real estate development, principles and process; third edition Washington D.C; Urban Land Institute.
·  Nathan G, Chin L, &Ataur, R.(2010). Recycling of construction and demolition materials as part of the waste Minimization strategy.
·  Neo R. B and Koh T.J (1995). In Yeo KT, (ed), Accounting for waste in construction proceedings of the first international conference on construction project management, Singapore, 399-406.
·  Nunnally, J.C. (1978). Psychometric theory, 2ndedition, New York: McGraw- Hil, 345-362.
·  Narimah, B.K. (2008). Improving Materials Management on construction projects. A Doctoral Thesis Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the award of Doctor of Philosophy of Loughborough University.
·  Obiegbu, M.E. (2009). Unique Roles of Professional Builders in the Society. Being a paper presented at the One day Seminar organized by the Rivers and Bayelsa States Chapter of the Nigerian Institute of Building held at Port-Harcourt, Nigeria on the 18th November.
·  Ojo, G.K. (2005). An Assessment of Factors Influencing Contract Period of Construction Projects In South Western Nigeria; Towards a Sustainable Built and National Environment; Proceedings of Faculty of EDM AnnualConference; Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife; 119-125.
·  Omotosho, K.P. (2006). An Investigation into Material Control System on Construction Sites in Nigeria; Unpublished PGD Dissertation; Department of Quantity Surveying; The Federal University of Technology, Akure.
·  Poon, C.S. (2007). Management and recycling of demolition waste in Hong Kong. Waste management and Reasearch 15(1), 561-572.
·  Patil A.R, Smita V. Pataskar, S.V. (2013). Analyzing material management techniques on construction project. International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) 3(4), 96-100.
·  Park, H.K, S.H and Russell J.S. (2005). Cash flow forecasting model for general contractors using moving weights of cost categories, Journal of management in Engineering.
·  Phu, N. L and Cho, A. M (2014). Factors Affecting Material Management in Building Construction Projects. International journal of Scientific Engineering and Technological Research 03(10), 2133-2137.
·  Prabu, V. and Baker, M.(1986). Materials Management. McGraw-Hill, UK.
·  Navon, R and Berkovich O. (2005). An automated model for materials management and Control. Construction Automation Laboratory – Faculty of Civil Engineering, Technion City.
·  Rivas, A. Borcherding, D. Gonzalez, V. & Alarcon, F. (2011). Analysis of factors influencing productivity using craftsmen questionnaires:Case study in a Chilean construction company. Journal of construction engineering and management, 312-320.
·  Skoyles, E.F and Skoyles, J.R (1987). Waste prevention on site. London: Mitchell.
·  Stock, J.R. & Lambert, D. M. (2001). Strategic Logistics Management. Boston; McGraw-Hill, International Edition.
·  Thomas, H. Sanvido, V. & Sanders, S. (1989). Impact of material management on productivity – A case study. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
·  Madhavi, T.P, Mathew, S.T & Sasidharan, R (2013). Material Management in construction, International journal of research in engineering and technology. IC-RICE Conference Issue | Nov-2013. Pp. 400-403.
·  Tersine, R. J. and Campell, J.H.(1977). Modern Materials Management, North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
·  Tompkins, J. A and White, J A (1984). Facilities Planning. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
·  Muralitharan, T. and Elangovan, T. (2015). Safety and Analysis in Material Handling of Construction Industry, Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research .
·  Teo, M. and Loosemore (2001.) M. “A theory of waste behaviour in the construction industry.” Journal of Construction Management and Economics.
·  Theodore, J.T (2002). Managing the construction project, A practical Guide to Project Manager. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
·  Vieira, G.B, Pasa, G.S, Borsa, M.O, Milan, G.S & Pandolfo, A. (2011) Material Management: A case study. Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management, 4(2), pp. 19-30.
·  Vrijhoef, R. & Koskela, L. (2000). The four roles of supply chain management in construction. European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management.
·  Zeb, A., Malik, S., Nauman, S. Hanif, H. & Amin, M.O. (2015). Factors Affecting Material Procurement, Supply and Management in Building Projects of Pakistan: A Contractor’s Perspective. Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Innovations in Civil and Structural Engineering (ICICSE’15). Istanbul (Turkey), pp. 170-175..