CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF DROPOUT AMONG STUDENTS OF COLLEGE OF EDUCATION EKIADOLOR, BENIN CITY
BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the ancient time, we have formal or traditional educational system which Nigerian’s or indigenous people used to educate their own children this is what has been called occupational education before the coming of the Europeans and their western education to Nigerian.
The purpose of this type of education was to make the young ones grow up in such a way that, they will understand the society into which they were born, acquired the knowledge, skill understand the attitude and appreciate the culture. However the general education sill have area of specialization which includes palm fruit, hunting, carpentering, etc.
As a result of the missionary activities in Nigeria, a formal type of education was established with the aim of training people who can read, understand and interpret the bible. The aim also was to produce people who would be of service too the member of the trinity of colonialism and church. The white collar jobs which the formal education provided, made many citizen to attend schools, some of them did not complete their educational career due to economics, social and physical handicaps which will be exhaustively dealt with in subsequent chapters.
Every year a great number of students dropout of school due to some factors such as ill health, attitude of teacher and peer group influence. Those who drooped out of school constitute nuisance in the society. They can either be found roaming in the street or seeking for opportunity to steal. However a lot of these dropouts involves themselves in crimes and eventually end up in prison and in extreme cases executed for armed robbery offence.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In carrying out this study, it is necessary to identify the possible causes and effect of school dropout among students of College of Education, Ekiadolor-Benin include:-
1. Financial problem could hamper schooling.
2. Loss of parents or sponsor could hinder school
3. Unhealthy human relationships in school, quarrel, hatred, fighting etc can cause dropout among College of Education Students.
4. Low mental ability can make a student to dropout of school.
PURPOSE OF STUDY
1. The researcher work has as its main objective the causes and effect of school dropout among students of College of Education, Ekiadolor-Benin.
2. The researcher wants to know the problem face by students in school which lead to dropout.
3. The researcher wants to find solution to the problems of school dropout among College of Education, Ekiadolor-Benin.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance is that, it will help us to produce manpower needed in our society and also how to minimize the causes and effect of dropout in secondary school.
To provide solution to the stated problem, the following research questions, were put forward:
1. Do students dropout because of financial problem to meet their basic needs?
2. Does broken home cause students to dropout of students from school?
3. Does poor students and teacher’s relationship cause school dropout?
4. To what extent does participation in secret cults cause dropout in secondary school?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to College of Education, Ekiadolor-Benin. The sample will be four secondary schools. The subject will be one hundred students. Twenty five each from four schools selected. The study will also involve some principals and teachers of the schools to be visited.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. School dropout: Means student who after gaining admission into secondary school due to one reason or another are unable to complete their school career.
2. Delinquency: Illegal or immoral behaviour especially by young people.
3. Hooligan: Rough person who fight and makes noise in the streets.
4. In chastised: Not discipline
5. Permissive: Act of allowing.