DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION A BIRTH REGISTRATION SYSTEM
Computer has been used in almost all fields of human endeavor, from medicine to agriculture, from education to the government, etc. Some medical outfits who have not fully used the computer will soon appreciate its usefulness in their day to day operation especially in registering of children’s births.
The child who is not registered at birth is in danger of being shut out of society – denied the right to an official identity, a recognized name and a nationality. In 2000 (UNICEF (2001)), an estimated 50 million babies – more than two fifths of those born – were unregistered. These children have no birth certificate, the ‘membership card’ for society that should open the door to the enjoyment of a whole range of other rights including education and health care, participation and protection. This study shall examine among other things the importance of birth registration.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The value of birth registration as a fundamental human right continues to be overlooked. There is a continuing lack of awareness of registration as a critical measure to secure the recognition of every person before the law, to safeguard the protection of his or her individual rights, and to ensure that any violation of these rights does not go unnoticed. This awareness will fully be brought to bear in University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, Uyo if the software will installed and used there.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The following are the motivations for this study.
1. Delay in accessing birth information authorized members of staff.
2. In case of accidental damage to the manual system, information will be much affected than if it were in the electronic system.
3. Lack of enhanced security of birth information in the manual system.
1.3 METHODOLOGY OF THE STUDY
The methods to be employed in this work include;
1. Reviewing of some related literature.
2. Interviewing at University of Uyo Teaching Hospital to gather information about the system and its operational processes.
3. Designing of birth registration system using Visual Basic.Net version 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server version 2008.
4. Implementing the birth registration system using Visual Basic.Net version 2008 to serve as the front-end, and also employ Microsoft SQL Server to serve as database back-end from which the system shall get data from.
1.4 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The research is aimed at designing and implementing a birth registration system, with the following objectives;
1. To develop a dynamic birth registration system that will help authorized members of staff to have access to birth information.
2. To develop a system that will reduce the time taken to access birth information compared to the manual system.
3. To develop a system that will provide enhanced security of birth documents.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of the study:
1. The study shall acts as awareness on the importance of birth registration in Nigeria, especially in areas in the country where the process is not done.
2. The study shall serve as groundwork for other research to be carried out.
3. The study shall serve as a reference material for those who so desire.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This work focuses on the design and the development of birth registration system as done in Nigeria.
1.7 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
1. Time constraint: inability to reach the goal because of shortage of time.
2. Money constraint: Lack of sufficient fund to use when the research was carried out.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
These are facts about somebody or something.
This is the combination of inter-related elements (or sub-systems) organized in such a way as to ensure the efficient functioning of the system as a whole.
3. INFORMATION SYSTEM:
Is a set of inter-related components that collect (or retrieve), process, store, and distribute information to support decision making and control in an organization.
Is the co-ordination of all the resources of an organization through the process of planning, organization, directing and controlling.
i. Is a collection of data, especially, one accessible by a computer.
ii. It is an organized collection of data, typically in digital form so that it can be accessed, managed and updated.
6. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT):
Is the application of computers and telecommunications equipment (such as communication satellites, modems, analogue and digital switches) to store, retrieve, transmit and manipulate data (InfoTech).
· A software interface (as a graphical user interface) designed to enable user friendly interaction with a computer.
· A unit in a computer devoted to controlling the data communications link between terminals and the main computer and often to the preliminary processing of data.
A computer program that remains in the background or resides on a server located in a back-room (such as server software – database management system)..