THE RELEVANCE OF STAFF MOTIVATION AND PERFORMANCE IN BUSINESS ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF PZ NIGERIA PLC, ILORIN REGIONAL OFFICE)
TABLE OF CONTENT
Table of Content
1.1Background of Pz. Nig. Plc
1.2Statement of Problems
1.3Purpose of the Study
1.4Objective of the Studies
1.5Significance of the Studies
1.6Scope of the Study
1.10Definition of Relevant Terms
1.11Organization of Studies
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURES
2.1Theories of Motivation
2.2Nature of Motivation in Business Organization
2.3Meaning and Scope of Motivation
2.4How to Motivate Employees in Business Organization
2.5Other Motivational concepts
2.6Business Organization and staff motivation
2.7Relevance of Staff Motivation in Pz Ilorin
Research Design and Methodology
3.1Methods of Data Collection
3.1.1Primary Sources of Data Collection
3.1.2Secondary Sources of Data Collection
3.4Sampling Techniques and Size
3.7Questionnaire Administration, Distribution and Collection
3.8Method of Data Presentation and Analysis
DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSES AND DISCUSSION OF FINDINGS
4.2Data Analysis and Interpretation
4.3Test of Hypothesis
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Motivation is a common term used in human resources management, and it defined as the internal drive which moves a person towards a goal at meeting personal needs since motivation plays a major role in business organization to achieve the desired result through effective man power utilization. Many researchers in motivation summarizes that except man is motivated to an optimum level, the business organization will not meet the expected degree of productivity into an organization, money and material are also contributing factors. One of the greatest problem faced by most business organization is the total neglect of human motivation, this have often resulted into industrial disharmony. Another problem faced by business organization is the issue of motivation is inadequate welfare package, housing, transportation, opportunity for training and retraining, health care benefits, pension and gratuity, just to mention a few out of the so many motivational problems faced by a business organization. The above motivational problems are my observation in a business organization especially in the area of my case study (PZ. Nig. Plc) and it was based on the above that I choose the topic “The relevance of staff motivation and performance in a business organization (case study: PZ Nigeria Plc, Regional Office)
1.1 BACKGROUND OF PZ. NIG. PLC
This company had its beginning in sierra lone when Mr. G.B Zochonis and Mr. G.H Paterson met in Freetown and formed a trading company by the name of Paterson Zochonis and company limited, which was incorporated as a private company under English law in February 1884 with a registered office in Liverpool, England in 1886. The office was transferred from Liverpool to Manchester which has remained the headquarters of the group ever since.
The main business of the company was that of general merchant and was active for many years in the export of West Africa such as cotton, cassava and hides and skins. The company had a number of trading posts throughout West Africa which it served by operating four small coastal sailing schooners. The first branch in Nigeria was opened at Lagos in 1899. In 1903 a branch was established at Calabar and by 1912, the Nigerian branch in Nigeria was opened at Lagos in 1899. In 1903, a branch was established at Calabar and by 1912, the Nigeria branch included Ibadan, Oshogbo, Ilorin and Kano. At present, the company operates branches in all states of the federation including the Federal Capital of Nigeria Ilorin. Since the end of the last century, the company business has expanded throughout Nigeria and has been significantly diversified. The company’s operations are at present organized into three departments. Technical departments, general merchandize and the depot serviced department.
The Nigerian branch was incorporated in Nigeria in August
(1969) as Paterson Zochonis Nigeria Plc and as a wholly owned
subsidiary of Psaterson, Zochoris and co. ltd of Manchester
England, and in 1973 offered 40% of us share capital to the Nigerian Public.
By a Scheme of arrangement under section 197 companies decree 1968 the company merged with PZ Industries Ltd, (formerly A. T L.) under the Scheme PZ Industries Ltd acquired the whole of the share capital of the company.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Motivational problems cut across all areas of human endeavors. These often affect the moral and productivity of individuals working in public and private enterprises.
Thus one deduced the following are the motivation problems seem in PZ. Nig PLC Ilorin regional office.
1. Inadequate information on Employment Policy.
2. Inability to involve intermediate and junior staff in decision making process.
3. Partial implementation of welfare packages such as housing etc.
4. Inadequate facilities to enhance staff productivity lack of working facilities like machine operators.
5. Inadequate privilege given to staff to go for training and be retrained.
6. Non-adherence to the implementation of workers compensation policy.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of embarking on the project is to view those motivational factors that enhance staff motivational to employee.
The research will also highlight the relevance of staff motivation in business organization, particularly in PZ Mg Plc. Ilorin and make possible recommendation that can enhance staff motivation in business organization.
1.4 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDIES
The objectives of the study is to examine factors and relevant of staff motivation and performance in Peterson Zochonis (PZ) Nig. Plc Ilorin. Regional Office among other things the study will seek
1. To ascertain the factors that militates against business management not to enhance staff motivation, example, funding, policy and politics.
2. To explore the relationship between the business management and the entire staff.
3. To identify whether the business management satisfy needs of their staff in regards to motivational packages.
4. To look at the area of funding as its affect staff welfare.
5. To recommend bases on the outcome of the study areas that the management will improve its staff morale.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDIES
1. It will enhance the under understanding of contents, policy and process of staff motivation in PZ. Ilorin Regional Office.
2. It will afford me an insight of the total concept of motivation.
3. To provide opportunity for theory researchers to acquired knowledge and information on staff motivation.
4. It will afford opportunity for the business management to improve in areas of staff motivational deficiency.
5. The study will provides bases for further implementation of motivational packages for staff.
6. The study would provide the partial fulfillment of the requirement for the award of Higher National Diploma.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study will cover PZ Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office. The limitation of this research is based on the fact that there has been no periodic evaluation of staff motivation especially in PZ Nig. Plc. Ilorin Regional Office. This may be due to the fact that the degree of operational activities Coupled with little man power, the assumption is always that there is contentment among staff of the organization. I will therefore limit myself to few of the problem identified in PZ. Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office and the effects on its workers. In the course of this study, the researcher encountered some problems. These were finance, time and scope of the study.
The research hypothesis will be analyzed using the null and alterative hypothesis.
1. Ho: motivation is an important factor that increases staff morale and performance in Business Organization.
2. Hi: Motivation is not an important factor that increases staff morale and performance in Business Organization.
3. Ho: Welfare package is relevant in enhancing staff motivation in Business Organization.
4. Hi: Welfare package is not relevant in enhancing staff motivation in Business Organization.
1.8 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The research methods used in the research project is the sampling method. It is analyze using the random sampling method or technique because all the elements in population are given equal opportunity to be selected. The names of staff of PZ Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office under are obtained and written in piece of paper.
1.9 RESEARCH LIMITAT1ON
The study is limited to PZ Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office. The limitation of this research is based on te fact that there has been no periodic evaluation of staff motivation especially in PZ Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office.
This may be due to the fact the degree of operational activities coupled with few manpower, the assumption is always that there is contentment among staff of the organization. I will therefore limit myself to few of the problem identified in PZ Nig. Plc Ilorin Regional Office and the effects on its workers.
In the course of this study the researcher encountered some problems. These were finances, time and scope of the study.
1.10 DEFINITION OF RELEVANT TERMS
1. PRODUCTIVITY: The rate at which a worker, a company or a country produces goods and the amount produced, compared with how much time, work and money is needed to produce them.
2. LEADERSHIP: The staff or position of being a leader. The ability to be a leader or the qualities a good leader should have.
3. WELFARE: The general health, happiness and safety of a person.
4. CO-OPERATE: Connected with a co- operation.
5. APPROVAL: Judgment of the value, performance or nature of work e.g.
6. MOTIVATION: Is a general term applied to the entire class of drives, needs, wishes and similar forces.
7. ORGANIZATION: A group of people with a special purpose such as business, the arrangement on planning of part so as to form an effective goal.
8. MANAGEMENT: The people in charge of a company, industry, the art of practice of managing especially managing a business or money.
9. STAFF COMPENSATION: Is payment made to workers as a result of work hazard.
10. POLICY: is a guide to action, shows direction policy is a means by which you achieve your aim.
11. PZ: Paterson Zochonis.
1.11 ORGANIZATION OF STUDIES
This research work comprises of five chapters: Chapter One usually include: Introduction, Statement of the Problems, Purpose of the Studies, Objectives of the Study, Significance of the Study, Scope of the Study, Research Hypothesis, Research Methodology, Definition of Relevant Terms and Organization of the Study. Chapter Two is comprised of the Literature Review which Analysis the Theories on Motivation, Nature of Motivation, Meaning and Scope of Motivation and Relevant of Staff Motivation in Business Organization etc. Chapter Three, is Devoted for Research Methodology where issues like the sources of Data Collection, Population Sample and Sampling Procedure, Sampled Size, Research Instruments. Questionnaire Design, Administration and Collection are also discussed. Chapter Four is Data Presentation, Analysis and Interpretations. While Chapter Five is the concluding part of the Research Work where Summary of Findings, Conclusions and Recommendations shall be made.
Appleby, (1969) RP. Modern Business Administration: New York Harper and Row Publishing Press.
MC. Chelland, D.C (1961) The Achieving Society Taxes: Van Nosrand Printing House..